Slovenia Adventure Challenge
- You will be able to cycle (and kayak) at your own pace throughout the day, or you can ride with one of our Hosts. The choice is always yours
- GPS maps will be provided and GPS systems can be hired from us if you do not have your own
- There will be a cycling leader tracking the trip throughout the day and a support vehicle carrying your luggage and food for you during the day. The van will stop on the roadside for your lunch.
- You will need to arrange to be in Ljubljana on Saturday 28th July to begin the challenge on the Sunday. We start the ride in the East near the Hungarian border.
- We meet in Ljubjana (location will be provided)
- Minibus will take us up to Murska Subota, close to the Hungarian border in the east of Slovenia
- Departure at 17.00h and it is approximately a 2 hour journey, mainly along the motorway
Murska Subota to Maribor
105 km, 1230m elevation
The tour starts off very gently, over fairly flat terrain. Its a very fertile area of Slovenia, so very agricultural, with lots of cereal farming taking place. As the day progresses the cycling gets more challenging and the scenery more endearing. At times it is quite idyllic and gives a real insight into rural life in Slovenia. One minute agricultural life which looks like it hasn't changed in centuries the next through forest glades and vineyards. Everyone seems to have fruit trees or vines in their gardens.
Maribor to Ljubno
132 km, 2260m elevation
Leaving Maribor across the Glavni bridge over the Drava river, the tree topped mountains seem to surround you. We cycle along the Drava trail for the first part of the day, mainly following the river as it winds through the valley. it is more cycling through beautiful Slovenian countryside.
Ljubno to Lake Bled
94 km, 1750m elevation
Stunning Slovenian countryside and lots and lots of hops growing. Slovenia produces 3% of the worlds hops which is quite a lot for such a small country. The hops from Slovenia are called styria hops and are prized by beer connoisseurs. The day finishes at the iconic Lake Bled. The day is a slightly shorter one, so if you want cycle the extra 6km around the lake its well worth it. Or relax at a bar, holding a beer!
Lake Bled to Boka
95 km, 1940m elevation OR 128 km, 2835m elevation
This is the tough day of the tour.... But there is a choice. Whichever route you take though, there is superb countryside as we skirt around and through the main mountain range in Slovenia, which is within the Triglavski National Park. Fantastic scenery all day long as we travel through the Julian Alps.
Boka to Most na Soči
A short 15km ride from Boka to Kobraid, where you pick up the kayaks.
The Kayak route is ideal for beginners and you will have a guide with you throughout the day. It is likely to take around 5 - 6 hours and you will want all of it to soak up the stunning scenery. Finish at Most Na Soc. http://www.hotel-lucija.com/
Most na Soči to Slap
122 km, 2160m elevation
The first 40km are easy as we continue to cycle down the Soca Valley, Then the climbing begins. In the next 50km we will climb nearly 1500m. Then its all downhill to the magical hotel that is Majerija. This idyllic upper Vipava house, hidden among vineyards and orchards of Vipava valley is our resting place for the night
Slap to Portoroz
105 km, 1670m elevation
Another challenging day, especially the last section. But first we will see lots of vineyards and olive groves. The day takes you through the Lipica Stud farm where you may see some of the famous Lipizzaner horses. We gradually make our way down to the small amount of Adriatic coastline where we complete the tour. Enjoy a night celebrating!
A mini bus will take you to the airport on the Sunday morning for you to return home. We will transport your bikes back to the UK.